Despite what you see in porn films, spit is not lube. Seriously, it isn’t. It can work in a pinch, but if you’re planning on fucking for a long time, or sticking something really big in some place that isn’t really big, use lube!
- It reduces the risk of tearing, and those tiny tears are where bacteria and viruses sneak into you.
- It will keep you from getting sore, which totally ruins the moment.
- It feels good.
But how do you pick the right lube? Lube comes in two types: water based and silicone based. They are very different, and have different uses.
Water based lubes are:
- Safe for all toys and condoms.
- Generally need to be reapplied with more frequency and more quantity than silicone lube.
- Prone to get sticky.
We recommend water-based lubes for all toy play. It’s just easier than trying to remember which toys react badly to silicone.
Silicone based lubes are:
- Longer lasting that water-based lubes.
- Condom safe.
- Super concentrated and great for marathon sessions.
- Great for use in water. (Sex in the tub or pool sounds sexy, until you realize that the water totally dries everything out and it sucks. Silicone lube fixes that.)
- Great for anal play.
We generally recommend silicone lubes for everything except toy play.
Lube is to make sex feel better, but is not a reasonable way to make it “safer.” Chemicals in spermicides can often cause irritation, and do not provide the safety measure of a barrier like a condom. We prefer our lubes spermicide free, and use condoms for STD and pregnancy prevention.
- NEVER use a lube with a numbing agent in it. We think that’s like a rufie for your body. Forcing your body to do something that hurts is not a good idea, unless you are very experienced with your own physical and emotional boundaries. This can lead to all sorts of injuries that you don’t feel yourself getting at the time, and it is just a bad idea.
- If someone is telling you numb yourself so that you’ll be willing to do something that you don’t want to do, then tell them to fuck off, but they can’t fuck you that way.
These are a mixed bag, but in general, we’re not fans.
- Too many chemicals in your pussy is just a bad idea. Although it’s gotten better, the basically food-like quality of flavored lubes can feed yeast and bacteria in your vagina that upset the balance and make things wonky as hell.
- On a more hippie-dippie level, we just like the way people taste. Being in tune with subtle changes in taste and odor is a great way to get in touch with your body and your partner’s body.
We say, eat your partner and snack on food.
Check out our favorite lubes, buy some and get going!.